11 April 2014

'Picker', an ideal summer job for t&t students

On 10 April 2014 in an article entitled Shedding light on dark stores, FT columnist Emma Jacobs cast the spotlight on some negative aspects of dotcom centres and similar industrial factilities also known as 'dark stores' and the work performed by 'pickers'.

On a more positive note, the article reminded me of the time I spent as a picker on a short-term summer contract when a student. It also reminded me how often I recommended this type of job as a useful part-time or summer job for translation and terminology students for the simple reason that few jobs give young people better exposure to and physical contact with an incredible variety of products, parts and components along with a practical understanding of the importance of consistent terminology, catalogueing and similar tasks.

ChatGPT, a drafting aid for translation by emulation

On 17 October 2011, I published the first of two posts summarising my general approach to the type of translation/adaptation services I was ...